Making Lamb Suya in the air fryer is my new favourite recipe because its super easy to make, quick and very tasty, you’ll get the same flavourful lamb skewers in less time with no need to turn on your oven or outdoor grill.
Made with a blend of most popular spice blend known as suya peppermix. You’ll love this flavourful marinated lamp recipe and I promise it’s worth every bite.
WHAT IS SUYA?
Suya is a popular street food found across West Africa, particularly in west Africa and northern regions of Africa. It’s a delicious spicy skewered grilled meat recipe made by marinating beef in oil , Maggi cubes or salt and a special spice blend.
The marinated beef is then threaded through wooden skewers or grilled without skewers on an out door locally made grill. The result is the well seasoned juicy beef suya loved by many. It is then Served with a garnish of onions and, tomatoes some times cucumbers and some sprinkle of the suya pepper mix.
EASY AIR FRYER LAMB SUYA RECIPE
This Air fryer suya recipe is one you need to try especially if you are a lover of good food and entertaining!. It’s made with a few ingredients that are readily available in stores or online. The only specialty ingredients needed is the suya spice mix which you can make or buy online.
If you are a DIY human, you can make your own blend of suya spice using this recipe. The Spice blend is what makes these lamb skewers taste amazing. One important thing though, this recipe isn’t for any one with peanut allergies because the spice blend contains peanuts which is what actually gives beef Suya it’s unique unbeatable taste.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS RECIPE
The only reason not to love this recipe is if you’ve got peanuts or tree nut allergies. The advantages are
- It’s unique taste
- Low carb
- Accessible ingredients
Checkout my GOAT MEAT SUYA RECIPE grilled in an oven if you do not feel confident or have no desire using an Air fryer.
INGREDIENTS THAT CAN BE USED IN MAKING SUYA
WHAT INGREDIENTS ARE IN SUYA?
- Beef or any other meat of choice including chicken
- Suya spice (which usually consists of paprika, cayenne pepper, curry powder peanut powder, ginger etc)
- Stock powder or cubes
- Oil ( Vegetable or Sunflower )
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Type of meat: Though Suya is commonly made with beef or goat meat , you can also make chicken Suya, ram suya, pork Suya etc
- (Suya spice): The recipe name is derived from the spice blend used, therefore it’s an important part of this Lamb recipe. However you can easily use your favourite spice blend like Cajun Seasoning if you prefer but please not this spice is extra spicy and you would be making Cajun beef skewers and not Suya.
WHAT IS THE BEST CUT OF MEAT FOR SUYA?
To be honest my recommendation will be lamb or goat meat. Beef can be very dry once grilled but however if you prefer beef use Sirloin steak, skirt steak or rib eye steak as these cuts of meat is delicious if your looking for medium rare. and they all came out delicious.
HOW TO MAKE IT IN THE AIR FRYER
Season and marinade the lamb with the listed ingredients for at least 30 mins then thread slices through skewers. Repeat process till all the pieces of beef has been used up.
Get some oil on the lamb suya using a pastry brush. Repeat till all the meat have been dusted.
mix with seasoning, marinade and allow to sit in the fridge for an hour
Grill in the air fryer for 30 mins at 200 degree Celsius
MAKING SUYA IN THE OVEN
Prepare the raw meat as described previously and let marinate. When ready to cook, Preheat the oven to 400°F / 200°C / Gas mark 6.
Thread the meat on skewers, place in baking sheet and cook for 15 mins then flip meat and cook for another 10 mins or until fully cooked and internal temperature of meat reads 145°F / 74°C. Checkout these recipes for grill in an oven GOAT MEAT SUYA RECIPE and grilled beef, heart and liver kabob.
WHAT DOES SUYA TASTE LIKE?
Suya has a unique spicy and nutty taste that is based on the ingredients that make up the spice blend used to make it.
HOW TO SERVE IT
What are the best sides that pair well with Beef Suya? Besides being garnished with tomato, onion and cucumber slices, Suya can be served with coleslaw, SWEET FRIED PLANTAIN , puff puff recipe, CORN FRITTERS. It makes for a great side dish, snack or appetizer.
HOW TO STORE
Suya stores well in the refrigerator or freezer. To store let it cool completely for about 2 hours then store in an air tight container. You can remove the meat from the skewers by gently sliding the meats out. It will keep well in the refrigerator for up to a week and will freeze for up to a month.
It can be reheated in the microwave or Air fryer. To reheat in the microwave, warm at 30 seconds intervals till warmed through. For the Air fryer reheat at 400°F / 200°C for 3 to 5 mins or until heated throughout.
DO YOU SOAK BAMBOO STICKS BEFORE AIR FRYING
Bamboo sticks have to be soaked 30 minutes prior to grilling in the air fryer or oven. This will prevent the sticks from burning. Air fryers cooks at a much faster time compared to an oven. I have had great results with soaking and not soaking before use in my air fryer. However I would recommend you soak the sticks irrespective of your chosen method of cooking.
AIR FRYING TIPS
- When using wooden skewers on the outdoor grill and oven, it is advised that you soak the skewers in water for about 30 mins to prevent it from getting burnt. Food takes a little longer to cook on a grill or oven so the chances of the skewers getting burnt are very likely . On the contrary air fryers cooks pretty fast so it is unlikely that your skewers will get burnt. Please soak skewers in water before using them
- You can make Suya without using skewers. Simply place seasoned beef strips in the air fryer basket or grill tray and cook.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Can I make suya without skewers?
Definitely you can make Suya without the skewers. You can cook them in strips or small chunks after seasoning and marinating the meat.
I have peanut allergy, can I use Suya spice?
Sadly you cannot eat Suya or use Suya spice if you have peanuts allergies. Peanuts are a major ingredient in Suya spice. Most people with peanut allergies tend to have tree nut allergies too and Vice versa. Therefore as amazing as this recipe is, please stay away from Suya if your have these allergies. As an alternative, you can use cayenne pepper for the heat, season meat with salt, Maggi cubes and oil.
Air fryer Lamb Suya
- Air fryer
- 8 Bamboo skewers
- 500g Lamb cut into small/ medium pieces quantity will depend on the amount of meat used
- 2 tbsp suya spice quantity will depend on the amount of meat used
- 2 tbsp Lamb seasoning quantity will depend on the amount of meat used
- 1 whole Maggi cube quantity will depend on the amount of meat used
- 1 tsp salt quantity will depend on the amount of meat used
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil for garnishing quantity will depend on the amount of meat used
- 1 Whole onion . You can use white or red onions
- 1 tbsp suya pepper mix
- 1 whole fresh Tomatoe
- soak bamboo sticks in water for about 30 mins
- wash you meat with lemon or white vinegar. Cut lamb into small to medium pieces then set aside
- prep your seasoning and set the temperature if using an oven. An air fryer does not need setting up prior to grilling the meat
- marinade the meat and keep in the fridge for an hour
- After an hour, apply meat on skewers
- Put meat on air fryer basket or grill tray . Air fry for 30 mins at 200 degree temperature
- After 30 mins allow to cool down for 10 mins
- Garnish and serve warm. Enjoy
MORE RELATED RECIPES0