WHAT ARE CORN FRITTERS?
Corn Fritters are savoury. A cornmeal-based batter with a pinch of sugar, milk and eggs mixed with canned or fresh corn.
HOW TO MAKE CORN FRITTERS
Add the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar to a medium bowl whisk together to combine. In a separate bowl beat together the egg, milk, and melted shortening. Pour it into the flour mixture and stir. Add the drained corn kernels to the bowl and mix together. Let batter sit for 30 minutes. The good news is you can use frozen corn for this recipe
Add the oil to a large heavy pot or deep fryer. Bring the oil to a temperature of 365°F. Grab a spoon and drop the batter into the oil by spoonful’s. (You should be able to get about 12 spoonful’s) Fry until golden, turning as needed so that all sides are browned.
This recipe works well too with an air fryer. Freeze the patties first so they are solidified before placing them in the air fryer. Place them in the air fryer for 30 minutes at 400 for 10 minutes and then flip and cook for another 5 minutes.
Allow the fritters to drain a paper towel lined plate.
Here are a few ideas on how to spice up your corn fritters
- Mix in sliced green onions
- Sprinkle in some cheese
- Give it a bit of a kick with a tsp of cayenne pepper
- Make these sweet by omitting any savoury ingredients, increasing the amount of sugar, and then drizzle them with honey once they’re cooked!
- Add in some crumbled bacon
- Make it Mexican style by adding diced jalapenos, lime juice, and finely chopped cilantro
- Use fresh corn (If you’re using corn on the cob, you can remove the cooked corn with a knife)
- Use frozen corn (Thaw it before incorporating it)
checkout puff puff recipe made out of flour. An alternative to corn fritters you might like. Corn fritters makes a great vegetarian snack
- 1 cup purpose flour sifted
- 1 tsbp baking powder
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp shortening melted
- 1 12 ounce can kernel corn drained
- 3 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Heat oil in a pot or deep fryer to about 365F
- Mix flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a medium bowl
- In another bowl, beat egg, melted shortening and milk then stir into the flour. Mix all of these into the corn kernels
- Drop the batter into the heated oil in spoonfuls, fry fritters until golden brown then drain on paper towels.